Saturday, March 22, 2008

Rivalries

I found this little article here that ranked the best rivalries in baseball (I bet you can guess which one was first!), and it was pretty good, so I thought I'd share a little bit of it:

"1. Red Sox-Yankees
The Sox and Yankees hate each other, and everyone else hates the Sox and Yankees. As annoying fan bases go, these two clubs are without peer. Of course, they're also without peer when it comes to history.


The Yankees have 26 titles to their credit (but none in the current millennium!), and the Red Sox have been baseball's most dominant team in this decade. As names like Babe Ruth, Red Ruffing, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Carlton Fisk, Thurman Munson, Bill Lee, Mickey Rivers, Bucky Expletivin' Dent, Aaron Boone, Grady Little and Dave Roberts remind us, those histories have so often been intertwined.

Oh, and this winter has demonstrated that the animus between these two clubs is still alive and well. Hank Steinbrenner and his gaping-wide social filter have been throwing bombs, and the Sox, both players and front-office suits, have been responding in kind. The Evil Empire or the team Bill Simmons favors? Dane Cook or Derek Jeter moving to his left? Pick your poisons.

This one isn't merely the best rivalry in baseball; it's the best rivalry in all of sports."

1 comment:

Peter N said...

Yes, there are no other rivalries that can compete! Have a wonderful holiday, and that was a great post. The MSN article was great, too. Thanks Brittany.